Grilled Caesar Salad with Pancetta
- 1/3 pound pancetta, sliced ½-inch thick
- 1 cup cherry or grape tomatoes
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 - 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil + additional for brushing
- 1 large head romaine lettuce, outer leaves removed, cut in half from tip to root
- ½ cup freshly grated parmesan + additional Parmesan curls, for garnish
- Caesar Dressing, recipe follows
- Grilled Garlic Croutons, recipe follows
Cut the pancetta into ½-inch cubes and cook it in a skillet over medium-low heat for approximately 10 - 15 minutes, until golden brown and crisp. Remove to paper towels and drain.
Drizzle the tomatoes with oil, mix with garlic and season with salt and pepper. Place the tomatoes on a sheet pan and place in the oven until tomatoes burst and are tender, approximately 10 minutes.
Preheat a grill to high.
Brush the leaves of romaine on both sides with the olive oil and season lightly with salt and pepper. Grill on each side for 30 – 40 seconds or until slightly charred.
Place grilled romaine, grated Parmesan and garlic croutons into a large bowl and toss with enough Caesar dressing to coat thoroughly. Arrange romaine, croutons and roasted tomatoes on plates and drizzle with additional dressing if desired. Sprinkle with crispy pancetta, garnish with parmesan curls and additional reserved grilled garlic croutons and serve immediately.
- 1 tablespoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- ¼ cup shallots, coarsely chopped
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 chipotle pepper in adobo
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 1 teaspoon capers
- 1 tablespoon anchovy paste
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup olive oil
- ¼ cup freshly grated Parmesan
Place all ingredients, except the oil and Parmesan into a blender and blend until smooth.
With the motor running, slowly add the oil and blend until emulsified. Add the grated Parmesan cheese and pulse 2 – 3 times. If dressing is too thick, add just a touch of water and process briefly.
Rustic Garlic Croutons
- ½ cup olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, fresh, peeled
- 1 baguette, or other day old bread available
- kosher salt and freshly ground cracked black pepper, to taste
Preheat your grill to 375º.
Slice baguette on the bias to create long slices. Lightly drizzle each slice with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill directly on grill grates until toasty and crispy.
Remove from grill, rub each slice on one side with garlic and serve immediately with grilled Caesar Salad.
2 lbs. lean ground beef
1 medium onion, chopped
2 or 3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 15 oz. can chopped tomatoes
1 small can tomato sauce
3 or 4 tablespoons chili powder
1 or 2 tsp. cumin
salt and pepper to taste
cayenne pepper, to taste
1 or 2 cans dark red kidney beans, drained (optional)
Brown beef, onions and garlic in large saucepan, drain grease. Add about a tablespoon of flour to the beef mixture and stir to combine. Add tomatoes, sauce and seasonings to taste. Add a cup or two of water, depending on how thick you like it. Add the beans, if desired, and partially cover with lid and simmer for about an hour. Serve with chopped onions, shredded cheese, sour cream, etc. Even better the next day and can be frozen for later use.